Humpback whales are non-hostile creatures that can be encountered swimming peacefully in the Deep Sea biomes. They tend to stick to the surface, and at times can be seen diving deeper. Their size can be seen as intimidating, however humpback whales are completely harmless to the player. The player is capable of riding a whale through the water. Humpback whales also possess the ability to whale-call; the call can be heard when in close proximity of the creature.
Currently, there is no way to kill a whale.
- Humpback whales are the only existing type of aquatic mammal in the game thus far. As of 0.12, a second mammal, the bat, has been added. And after it the boar.
- Humpback whales are native to the game's setting, the Pacific Ocean.
- Whales can be removed if one accesses the configuration files of the game.
- As of v0.03.H2, the spawn chance of a humpback whale has been adjusted from 20% down to 6%.
- Players report whales tending to follow them while on their rafts; this is a glitch in which the whales are controlled by the AI of an aggressive shark.
- As of v0.02 of the alpha build, the problem with "land whales" is claimed to have been fixed in the change log. The glitch is self-explanatory.
- There was a bug where the whale would make its call repeatedly in an infinite cycle; this has been fixed as of v0.03.